There is often misunderstanding among the general public when it comes to probability and risk. For example, 20% of Americans believe they are in the top 1% of income earners, or are soon to be there. This is, of course, statistically impossible.
Statistical thinking needs to have a bigger focus in our society, especially since the amount of data we have to deal with on a daily basis is constantly increasing. We need systems to help us sift through the noise.
Today’s episode is a selection of excerpts from some of the brightest minds of today and yesterday, and their takes on systematic and statistical thinking. Michael Covel provides the commentary. Though this is not strictly a trend following episode, all the material is very much applicable and relevant for anyone in trading or business.
From Penn Jillette (of Penn & Teller) to Gerd Gigerenzer, to Daniel Dennett, to Richard Feynman, this episode is permeated with wisdom to help you cultivate a trend following mindset.
In this episode of Trend Following Radio:
- Having a foundation, a system to get through the noise
- Developing a statistical mindset
- Understanding risk and knowing how to deal with it
- Getting “under the hood” of any trading system
- Richard Feynman’s lecture on computer heuristics
- What computer heuristics have to do with systems trading
- A trait that geniuses have in common
- The importance of isolation and concentration in learning
“The most important thing is to feel about things you should feel about, and think about things you should think about.” – Penn Jillette
Mentions & Resources:
- Gerd Gigerenzer interview #1 on Trend Following Radio
- Gerd Gigerenzer interview #2 on Trend Following Radio
- Risk Savvy, a book by Gerd Gigerenzer
- Intuition Pumps, a book by Daniel Dennett
- Michael Covel’s Youtube channel
Listen to this episode:
- Listen to this podcast on iTunes. (Please leave a rating!)
- Listen on Spotify.
- Listen on Stitcher.
- Libysn RSS.
- Download as MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Free Video.
Get the foundation to making money in up, down and *surprise markets on the Trend Following mailing list.
Have a question or comment about this episode? Post it below.