Trend following is counterintuitive.
It goes against all of the typical investment orthodoxy. Trend following is not any of this:
- Warren Buffett
- Buy and hold
- Fundamental analysis
- Value investing
- Day trading
- Elliott wave
- Candlestick patterns
- Point and figure
Trend following is something different.
And to get you started with a base understanding of trend following, to start that education to something different, we have compiled a wide selection of my favorite free and near free resources that serve as a fantastic library toward trend following success.
There is some order to this page, but feel free to explore.
Michael Covel Trend Following Resources
- Michael Covel Feature: English | German.
- Watch my trend following video. This is a free video with a legendary trend following trader. He started with nothing.
- Listen to my podcast with 3.5M+ listens.
- Wake Up Call (PDF).
- Your Trading Edge Michael Covel Feature (PDF).
- Market Technicians Association Michael Covel Feature (PDF).
- Active Trader Michael Covel Feature (PDF).
- Michael Covel personal motivation note.
3rd Party Trend Following Resources
- Turtles in the WSJ (PDF).
- A Century of Evidence on Trend-Following Investing (PDF).
- Two Centuries of Trend Following (PDF).
- Economics Needs a Scientific Revolution (PDF).
- Origins of Trend Following (PDF).
- Zero Sum Nature of Markets (PDF).
- PBS Special: Trillion Dollar Bet (VHS).
- Trend Following on Stocks (PDF).
- Graham Capital: Trend Following Risk & Return (PDF).
- David Hsieh & William Fung: Theory and Evidence (PDF).
- A Tail of Two Worlds: Fat Tails and Investing (PDF).
- Too Big to Fail?: Long-Term Capital Management (PDF).
- Bet Sizing Article by Ed Seykota and David Druz (PDF).
- Gibbons Burke Article on Money Management (PDF).
- Frequency v. Magnitude (PDF).
- Kelly’s Original Paper March 21, 1956 (PDF).
- Decision-Making (PDF).
- Faith in the Markets (PDF).
- Mini-Contracts Introduction (PDF).
- Futures Basics (PDF).
- Trading Math Basics (PDF).
Michael Covel Books and Film
- Trend Following (BOOK).
- Trend Commandments (BOOK).
- The Complete TurtleTrader (BOOK).
- The Little Book of Trading (BOOK).
- Broke: The New American Dream (FILM).
- Michael Covel Influences (Recommended Books).
Once you have digested a healthy dose of this page, and if you want to take the next step with full support, we offer money-making solutions for beginner to pro.
Note: Checklists are critical for learning and daily trading operations. The checklist of resources on this page was inspired by Atul Gawande’s book The Checklist Manifesto. His main point is simple: no matter how expert you may be, well-designed check lists improve outcomes. Start checking off the list above.