The popular life scripts that were a surefire path to success in the 20th century no longer work today. “Go to college and get a steady job until you retire” is no longer the optimal choice. Yet many people still believe that if they push harder or work more within these old scripts, they will succeed. But much like in trend following, continuing to be mentally attached to a trend that is on the decline will only result in further losses.
In today’s world, the opportunities and rewards associated with entrepreneurship are many. As college tuition rises, the value of a degree decreases, and with many jobs going dinosaur, entrepreneurship is becoming a smarter choice for many – and a less risky choice than standard issue job thinking.
Today’s podcast guest Taylor Pearson is the 26-year old author of the #1 Amazon best selling book The End of Jobs. Pearson has spent the last several years researching and traveling the world and talking to successful entrepreneurs, which inspired him to write the book.
In this episode, Pearson and Covel talk about automation taking away jobs, how globalization and travel are making entrepreneurship more accessible, the difference in mindset between entrepreneurs and employees, and the search for meaning in life and work.
In this episode of Trend Following Radio:
- How entrepreneurship is becoming safer than jobs
- Why college degrees are getting more expensive and less valuable
- The importance of relationships and your network in business
- Why the occupy movement was flawed from the start
- Not seeking permission to do something you want to do
- How the perceptions of risk in our society are wrong
- Choosing a path in life that has meaning to you
“Resources or opportunities are illegible or not clearly defined at the same time that they are most profitable” – Taylor Pearson
Mentions & Resources:
- Taylor Pearson’s website and blog
- The End of Jobs by Taylor Pearson
- The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris
- Dan Andrews interview on Trend Following Radio
Want a FREE Trend Following DVD? Get it here.
Get the foundation to making money in up, down and *surprise markets on the Trend Following mailing list.
Have a question or comment about this episode? Post it below.