My guest today is Gabriele Oettingen, a Professor of Psychology at New York University and the University of Hamburg. Her research focuses on how we think about the future, and how this impacts cognition, emotion, and behavior.
The topic is her book Rethinking Positive Thinking: Inside the New Science of Motivation.
In this episode of Trend Following Radio we discuss:
- Positive thinking, optimism and over-confidence
- How positive thinking can reign in your sense of urgency
- The effect of positive thinking on us from a scientific viewpoint
- Whether Oettingen views her work as an attack on the self-help industry
- Oettingen’s process and how she views data
- The WOOP (Wish, Outcome, Obstacle, Plan) process
- Understanding each component part of WOOP
- “Ah-ha” moments in Oettingen’s early development
- The idea of WOOP as mental contrasting
- Non-conscious processes
Listen to this episode:
- Listen to this podcast on iTunes. (Please leave a rating!)
- Listen on Spotify.
- Listen on Stitcher.
- Libysn RSS.
- Download as MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Free Video.