I have recently picked up a copy of Trend Following and also found your wonderful podcast. Just finished listening to as much Tom Basso and Jerry Parker as you have on there and feel like Neo from the Matrix when he wakes up from having all the martial arts uploaded into his brain.
*opens eyes and turns to Morpheus* “I know kung fu”
Anyway, just wanted to thank you for providing this fantastic service to the world of trading! Also, at the end of your podcasts you say to email you and that you’ll send us everything that we need to get started. If you have time could you please point me in the right direction?
If it helps figure out what I need, my background is like this:
– Been in the market since 1999 (got in due the mania, subsequently got killed and learned great lessons from getting killed…good thing I was only 20 and didn’t have much to lose!).
– Have become a competent investor in the value investing mold over the last 20 years and believe that it works, however who has the time or inclination to learn everything and anything about hundreds of companies? I do this for fun but cannot spend 40 or 60 hours a week doing it.
– Have traded on the side as this is what I love to do.
– Recently found Trend Following, and the light-bulb went off–> this is the thing I knew worked intuitively as my most profitable trades have been from breakout highs/lows.
– Recently handed my company to a CEO that I have been grooming for a few years and can now follow my passion of trading. willing to work hard at it.
– I do not have the gambling/excitement about trading any more, and just want to make money. Am very happy to just set buy and sell stops according to a mechanical system and take all the losing trades if it means winning overall. Losing 70% of the time and taking draw downs is fine with me.
– Generally have always had a probability based mindset. I love games like limit poker where if you play correctly and play the odds, you will eventually win out. I do not care about short term unlucky moves against me if the long term system is sound. Have made a good chunk of money in poker and fantasy sports where you can systematize winning
Also jump in: