“Should I invest in X?” is a question often heard in the investment world. Coming from the general public it is an especially strong cry out. The answer to that question is simple, although not obvious to many.
What you invest in doesn’t matter; it’s the strategy that matters. Markets are instruments: you can choose the best market and instrument for your purpose, but ultimately it is your strategy for using that market/instrument that determines the outcome.
In this commentary Michael Covel curates several excerpts from Richard Feynman to Paul Samuelson and creates a narrative to illustrate the contrast between fundamental and technical traders. Covel also makes a case study of Commodities Corporation – the hedge fund/incubator that was founded and run by some of the biggest trend following heavyweights of our time.
One of the most notable aspects of Commodities Corporation’s success is their pivot from their original fundamental strategy to a trend following strategy. Though the company is not talked about much today (bought by Goldman Sachs years back), their trend following legacy still permeates the investing world.
In this episode of Trend Following Radio:
- Defining the exact risks involved in a trading strategy
- The importance of liquidity: entering and exiting markets with ease
- What we can learn from the history of Commodities Corporation
- How the scientific method applies to trading logic
- How Fundamental Analysis differs from Technical Analysis
- The origins and basic principles of Trend Following Trading
- The importance of accepting the risks and committing to your strategy
“Never mind the cheese, let me out of the trap” – Amos Hostetter
Mentions & Resources:
- Market Wizards book by Jack D Schwager
- New Market Wizards book by Jack D Schwager
- Richard Feinman lecture on the scientific method
- No Country For Old Men movie clip
Want a FREE Trend Following DVD? Get it here.
Get the foundation to making money in up, down and *surprise markets on the Trend Following mailing list.
Have a question or comment about this episode? Post it below.