Now, let’s get practical. Answer the following five questions, and you have a trend following trading system:
1. What market do you buy or sell at any time?
2. How much of a market do you buy or sell at any time?
3. When do you buy or sell a market?
4. When do you get out of a losing position?
5. When do you get out of a winning position?
Said another way (Bill Eckhardt inspired):
1. What is the state of the market?
2. What is the volatility of the market?
3. What is the equity being traded?
4. What is the system or the trading orientation?
5. What is the risk aversion of the trader or client?
You want to be black or white with this. You do not want gray. If you can accept that mentality, you have got it.