Objective • Perspective • Unbiased • Independent • Aspirational • Lifestyle
$2997.00 | Prerequisites | Special Offers |
From brand new investors to experienced traders, you can transform your trading to outsized profit opportunities. Make no mistake this is a mental sport, but it is one that can be learned. Forget luck or gambling, great trend following trading is about putting the mathematical odds on your side. It is about finding a consistent edge. No guesses or predictions. I teach clients exactly how professional trend traders actually think and trade for above average returns.
Michael Covel’s specialty investment research encompasses trend following systems, black swan protection, risk management, portfolio selection and trader psychology insights tied together with training and support. It is an alternative financial service delivered from a uniquely honest and objective vantage.
Trend Following™ Premium Flagship Product Materials & Versions
- Multiple proprietary trend following trading systems.
- (18) Months personalized email support for your unique questions.
- (1) Research CD containing 50+ of Michael Covel’s favorite profit papers.
- (5) One of a kind mentoring DVDs with legendary traders: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
- (3) Trend following trading systems guides.
|Custom Client Support (Months)||18||12|
|Main Trading System Guide Text; 226 pages||Yes||Yes|
|LEAPs® System Guide Text; 83 pages||Yes||Yes|
|Single Stock Futures System Guide Text; 56 pages||Yes||Yes|
|Kevin Bruce DVD||Yes||Yes|
|David Harding DVD||Yes||Yes|
|Larry Hite DVD||Yes||No|
|Charles Faulkner DVD||Yes||No|
|Salem Abraham DVD||Yes||No|
|Michael Covel CD||Yes||No|
Benefit 1: Custom Support for All Clients
Michael Covel has helped thousands learn trend following for outsized profit opportunities. His support team, led personally by Michael, will answer 95% of all emailed questions within 24-36 hours. You can learn anywhere: iPhone, beach, office, your bedroom, your bathroom, it doesn’t matter. You will have access to Michael’s client support service for 18 months.
Thousands of hours were put into the development of Trend Following client instruction. It is a complete trend following instruction with ready to apply trend following systems–for both new and pro traders. Just like your CPA or attorney–the ability to ask questions is built right into the Flagship product. No extra support fees are charged.
Some ask: Are there in person or online groups that talk about this strategy? Michael’s firm handles support. The amount of misinformation online is overwhelming. It is a minefield. Avoid it.
Benefit 2: Trend Following™ Premium Flagship System Manual
The core trend following guide text (226 pages; bound soft cover) along with personal support answers the following trend following issues:
- What market and how much of a market do you buy or sell at any time?
- When do you buy or sell a market?
- When do you get out of a winning position?
- How do you enter and exit?
- How do you place stops for each and every position?
- How do you adjust stops when trades are winning/losing?
- How do you take a loss to avoid a larger loss?
- How does system expectancy work?
- How do you balance both long and short positions?
- How do you adjust trades for accumulated new profits?
- How do you account for volatility?
- How do you adjust your portfolio during a winning/losing streak?
- How do you adjust risk as your account grows?
- How do you handle profit targets? What do the pros do?
- How do you protect against extreme downside moves?
- How do you adjust your positions for volatility?
- How do you trade when the system dictates?
- How do you eliminate market noise?
- How do you understand the psychological component?
- How do you choose a portfolio?
- How do you use risk management (or money management) to maximize your gains?
Those answers are supplemented with personal email support (Benefit 1). Michael’s products have reverse engineered the following for clients:
- How to become a millionaire in concrete steps.
- How to deal with volatile returns as a part of life.
- How to ignore bad information.
- How to set up a profit schedule with self-discipline.
- How to trade with the trend and never ignore it.
- How to minimize stress and maximize health.
- How to model the behavior of the great traders.
- How to manage and embrace risk with a patient opportunistic plan.
- How to use a checklist to quantify your trading plan.
- How to learn to trade off of today’s price.
- How to read trends now across commodities, currencies, interest rates and stocks.
- How to avoid buying declining markets.
- How to add to winning trades.
- How to not use price targets or time limits.
- How to know when to stay out of the market.
- How to know when to sell before you ever buy.
- How to prepare, study and practice for each trading or week.
- How to mentally plan for your worst-case scenario at all times.
- How to not watch the markets during the day.
- How to identify a portfolio of markets on a global basis and rank them for selection.
- How to trade with a small account.
This chart gives an overview of what trend following aims to achieve:
If you have any questions built-in support allows you to receive answers for your unique situation. You will have precise trend systems you can apply to your account for potential profit–immediately.
Benefit 3: LEAPS® Options & SSF System Guide Text
The LEAPS® Options & Single Stock Futures Trading guide texts (bound soft cover) include 139 pages of examples and instructions describing how to use trend following trading systems with these markets.
Benefit 4: Market Wizard Mentoring DVDs
You will receive one-of-a-kind Market Wizard DVDs only available from Michael Covel:
|Kevin Bruce DVD||Yes||Yes|
|David Harding DVD||Yes||Yes|
|Larry Hite DVD||Yes||No|
|Charles Faulkner DVD||Yes||No|
|Salem Abraham DVD||Yes||No|
Benefit 5: Michael Covel Trend Following Secrets CD
This research CD includes proprietary systems and money management techniques that assist learning and using trend following trading. It also includes:
- Money management practice guide with step-by-step examples (PDF)
- Order placement tutorial (PDF).
- Over (100) PDFs totaling over 2000 pages.
- Alternative Entries Guide (PDF).
Money management is core for great training. You will learn exact money management techniques used by top trend following traders and have the needed practice examples to answer these questions:
- How much to trade at any give time?
- When to increase your position?
- How much to risk?
- How to evaluate total market risk?
- How to diversify your account?
- How to avoid over exposure among markets?
The money management guide text (PDF) is 216 pages.
Benefit 6: New Trader Resources
New traders will also receive resources dedicated to foundational level trading basics (i.e. book recommendations, trading issues to consider/avoid, Holy Grails, broker recommendations, background reading, websites to absorb/avoid, etc.). These insights give new traders start-up confidence as they learn.
Benefit 7: Stoic Weekly Trend Following™ System
The Stoic Weekly Trend Following™ System is a very long term trend following system that not does not require daily monitoring of markets. In fact, trading decisions are made only once a week. It is an incredibly valuable addition to the Trend Following™ Premium Flagship systems.
Benefit 8: The Perfect Hedge System
The Perfect Hedge System for non-trend followers is available now. Michael Covel’s live presentations taught him a unique insight. That critical piece of insight is included in Trend Following™ Premium Flagship; Systems + Training. What is the synopsis: Some traders and some funds don’t desire to be trend following traders. They are married to value-based approaches for an assortment of reasons. However, Michael has developed a unique approach that allows value-based and fundamental traders to receive trend following black swan protections (hedges) without applying real money. Note: This benefit is available only in Trend Following™ Premium Flagship.
Benefit 9: Investment Clarity Leads to High Profit
That image is typical investing promoted by government/mutual fund monopoly. The end result has been brutal:
46% of seniors in the U.S. have less than $10,000 in financial assets when they die.1
Worse yet?: This infographic.
This cartoon and this Matrix-like view of technology’s eradication of the need for human capital are even more brutal (and dead true). Further, how did it reach the point that millions actually believe politicians can fix their economic lives via a vote?
Now that the playing field is crystal clear–what is the work around? What is the solution? What is the “hack”? It is a step-by-step profit blueprint. That’s how students, investors and advisors win. However, big profit trading starts with a process. Consider a non-trading example to illustrate:
Instead of talking about wins and championships, Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban speaks about the process. The process is Saban’s term for concentrating on the steps to success rather than worrying about the end result. Instead of thinking about the scoreboard, think about dominating the man on the opposite side of the line of scrimmage. Instead of thinking about a conference title, think about finishing a ninth rep in the weight room. Since Saban has won three of the past nine BCS titles, the phrase has morphed into the mission statement for Saban’s program-building philosophy. Today everyone is trying to replicate his philosophy and results. Call it the Sabanization of college football2.
Michael has assembled world class winning trading strategies, the process, from the great traders of the last 40 years. He has spent 15 years teaching clients globally his lessons. Thousands worldwide, including beginners, ordinary people and professionals, have learned to trade stocks, bonds, currencies, commodities, metals, grains, futures, ETFs and LEAPs® in non-traditional ways. First, consider these truths:
- Clarity of purpose leads to investment success. Eliminate the noise with precise profit rules that adjust to any situation, climate or cycle.
- Systematic and consistent processes beat discretionary judgments every time. Watch this video.
- Stress is a killer. Multitasking will fry you. Focus on the right task, not every last one. View this infographic.
- The religious rituals of the finance sector designed to make you believe will bleed you out dry.
- Go on an information diet. Why? The news media systematically misleads. It is irrelevant, toxic to the body, limits understanding, inhibits thinking and manipulates. Do you disagree?
- Allow yourself some time to become proficient. Practice is ok. View this infographic.
- Bad advice is more popular than ever, but quick fixes for complex problems are a recipe for failure.
- Do nothing until you have a great move with big potential. Patience. Watch this video.
The authorities in charge don’t want that kind of thinking or action. They don’t want anyone awake:
Those who dominate the educational [system] control who is accepted and who is rejected, not by measure of intelligence or skill, but by their willingness to conform to the establishment ideal. They construct a kind of automaton class, which has been taught not to learn independently, but to parrot propaganda without question. Those of us who do not make the grade are relegated to the role of obliged worshippers; accepting the claims of the professional class as gospel regardless of how incorrect they happen to be. The whole thing is disgustingly inbred3.
Trend following is not a moneymaking system the gatekeepers want you to practice. It is not innate. It is a learned entrepreneurial skill. Trend following kills the brokers, CNBC, Bloomberg, mutual funds and the hocus pocus gurus that say they can predict tomorrow.
Trend Following Foundations
- Big Money Starts with Trends, or Waves: Everyone who makes big money rides and surfs waves. And the really large money comes from the big and unexpected swells.
- Adapt Your Trading to Market Movement: Markets go up, down and sideways. They trend. They flow. They surprise. They change. Know you will adapt from the outset. Don’t bother guessing how far a trend will go. You cannot.
- Nurture Beats Nature: What constitutes a winning trader? A special gene or divine gift? Child prodigy innate talent? Inside knowledge? MBAs? Huge starting capital? One answer: No.
- Everything Flows: Trend followers don’t predict direction. They react to market movements and follow along–without a story or conviction about why the market is moving.
- Statistical Thinking Is Paramount: During a Monday Night Football game, one of the announcers, Ron Jaworski, unintentionally put numbers and odds in perspective for making money: Play calling is about probability not certainty.
- Market Bubbles & Crashes Are Your Friend: The mythological 100-year flood happens regularly. Since 1929 there have been 18 market crashes–always rooted in irrational exuberance in one direction, then panics to get out in the other.
- Speculation Is Not Evil: Think about what drives a market: millions of investors speculating to make money. That’s evil? That’s life! Recent college graduates speculate that a high-paying job will come after graduation. That’s evil.
- Fundamentals Are Religion: To paraphrase trader Paul Tudor Jones: The illusion has been created that there is an explanation for every market move, every tick up or down, with the primary task to find that explanation. Ozzy also saw the insanity in fundamentals: I’m goin’ off the rails on a crazy train!
- The Market Is Never Wrong: People pine nonstop for the market to go their direction, then hang on and pray it’ll come back if it doesn’t go in their favor. The market is never wrong and doesn’t hear prayers. Losers average losers.
- Never Trust Anyone: Whenever there is market movement Wall Street analysts always speculate why it occurred. What they say never consistently translates to the bottom line of profit.
- You Have to Bet to Win: Take a big risk if you want a big reward. If you want an average reward, take an average risk. No balls, no babies. However, as Market Wizard Larry Hite said, Don’t bet your deli to win a pickle.
- Trade Everything: Follow enough markets that when one moves you can ride it, as diversification is the only free lunch you get. Forget the market’s name. They are the same if you only trade price.
- Process Beats Outcome: Do you want to be right or rich? You really have no control over the results; you have control over your action. What can you really control? How much you lose.
- Think Like Kenny Rogers: If you must play decide upon three things at the start: the rules of the game, the stakes and quitting time. You’ve got to know when to hold ‘em. Know when to fold ‘em. Know when to walk away. Know when to run.
- Learn to Love Losses: P.T. Barnum famously said, This way to the egress! If famed trader Amos Hostetter lost 25 percent he’d exit: Never mind the cheese. Let me out of the trap. Ignore losses, or try to double down to recoup, and those losses will bury you.
- Slow Your Emotions Down: Don’t compete with the phony speed of society. Be a snake. Coil and strike when the time is right. That simple thought is the foundation of Daniel Kahneman’s Nobel Prize in Behavioral Economics.
- The Babe Ruth Parallel: Babe Ruth struck out in bunches, but was one of baseball’s greatest sluggers. His home runs nullified the strikeouts. In between trading strikeouts, don’t lose too much while waiting for the next homerun, that’s the trick.
- Price Is All That Matters: Forget the market. Stocks, bonds, gold or corn–your system needs to work on all of those different markets. Trend trader Ken Tropin said it: You cant have a suit so tight that if you gain two pounds it won’t fit.
- Technology Is No Mistress: Pablo Picasso famously said, Computers are useless. They can only give you answers. Start by answering your daily market questions in advance. Automating answers is the easy part.
- Zero Sum Battles Are Life: Someone has to lose for you to win. Forget trying to be loved. Need a friend? Get a dog. If you are going to win, someone else will lose. Does survival of the fittest make you uneasy? Stay out of the zero sum game (PDF).
- Ivory Towers Are Prisons: The Efficient Markets Hypothesis has more in common with Scientology, versus any useful trading enlightenment. The last 15 years are proof positive against efficiency dogma.
- Avoid Benchmarks: If you don’t have an umpire, you can wait for the fat pitch. The trouble with investing for other people…is that you do have an umpire–called quarterly performance. Julian Robertson said it.
- Panicky Sheep Take Cliff Dives Together: The group offers safety, confirmation and simplifies decision-making. If something goes wrong, it is far more comforting to be with others than to be alone. The old saying, misery loves company, rings true.
- Hero Worship Kills Accounts: Many see market gurus as religious prophets. When TV zombies say it’s time to buy Google or dump Apple, millions follow random advice blindly. Don’t drink the Kool-Aid.
- Buy and Hold (Hope) Is Dead: Buy and hold works for investors who live forever. It also works for those who believe in magical thinking and pixie dust. However, mutual funds still make a fortune selling the dream. Like cosmetics: They both sell hope.
Trend Following™ Premium Flagship: Product Purchase
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: What is trend following exactly?
Q: What are the origins of trend following?
Q: Why are there two versions of your product?
A: My Flagship Premium gets you there faster. That is the main benefit. Of course, no small feature.
Q: Who is trend following for?
A: Everyone (almost):
- New or private traders trading their own account.
- All account sizes.
- Hedge fund managers, commodity trading advisors, floor traders and locals.
- Professional traders looking to establish money management businesses.
- Those who trade 401K, IRA, or other retirement vehicles.
- Those burned by buy-and-hope strategies and trusting the U.S. Federal Reserve.
- Those who want to trade all markets with the same rules.
- Those who want to make money in both bull, bear and black swan markets.
- Those who don’t know where to start.
Michael’s service is for brand new to pro traders. It is for traders who trade global markets and for those that trade only their home country markets. It is for retirement, speculative accounts, Registered Investment Advisors, fund managers and college students. This is the true location independent, desert island trading strategy.
Q: Who is trend following training not for?
A: The list:
- Those expecting millions instantly.
- Day traders.
- People who think they can predict tomorrow.
Q: What is your expertise?
A: Michael Covel’s quantitative investment and behavioral economics research can be seen across books, a documentary film and an internationally known podcast with over 1.9M listens. Michael has invested over 1M building his investment research firm Trend Following™. The firm’s foundation is centered on capturing profit opportunities grounded in a deep understanding of human behavior. His clients receive world class trading systems and education built around proprietary trend trading rules, psychology and philosophy. His investment research clients span 70+ countries.
Q: What are the performance possibilities?
A: For more than 5 decades trend following traders have captured global opportunities delivering massive profit outcomes. Michael’s clients receive an objective strategic plan with exact rules to immediately and dramatically capture those outcomes. Trend following is also for those seeking to not trade as trend following traders, but rather use Michael’s systems to hedge their traditional portfolios*.
Q: When does trend following work?
A: The investment objective of Michael’s trading programs is to extract profits from up, down and black swan markets (rare or surprise events), resulting in an above average return stream. Michael’s programs can be applied to long only and long/short portfolios and all programs are quantitative and 100% systematic. One of trend following’s benefits is that it acts as an inverse Warren Buffett, an investment strategy that finds value in rare and often disastrous phenomena. It is the only proven strategy for all investing climates.
Q: What type of markets can be traded?
A: Michael’s systems are for stocks, bonds, commodities, currencies (FX), energies, agriculturals, metals and softs. Can you trade stocks only, for example? Yes.
Q: What market instruments can be traded?
A: Systems are for equity ETFs, LEAPS options and or futures.
Q: Talk about the philosophical process?
A: You will focus only on daily trading activities relevant to above average results. That means no fundamentals, no economic reports and no news. Unnecessary complexity is eliminated. This is trading where the checklist, the process, is central to the great outcome.
Q: How do others feel?
A: Review Michael’s teaching track record with extensive social proof. There are, however, also critics. If Michael’s work made the manipulative Federal Reserve, CNBC, Wall Street and EMH academia happy–he would not be following his truth telling mandate.
Q: How specific is your product?
A: Michael’s service is an overall trend trader education with exact trend following systems that can be applied immediately to your investment account. That means you will receive:
- Exact rules for selecting your tracking portfolio.
- Exact rules for entering your trades at the right time.
- Exact rules for exiting your trades with a loss at the right time.
- Exact rules for exiting your trades with a profit at the right time.
- Exact rules for how much money to bet on each trade based on your unique situation.
Q: How has your firm evolved?
A: Michael’s Trend Following™ services have evolved significantly since inception. The original focus from 1997-2003 was assisting clients with only Turtle trading. Over the last decade, however, services have grown to include a much wider expertise in trend following trading. The current Trend Following™ Premium Flagship edition is Michael’s most comprehensive solution yet.
Q: Is trend trading only for U.S. traders?
A: My students are in 70+ countries trading on exchanges from Europe to Asia to the Middle East to South America to North America.
Q: Are your systems and training for the individual investor? For the new or beginner trader?
A: The majority of students are individual traders and investors. Many are new with no experience. Some have experience, but the wrong kind of experience. Some only know buy and hold. Some only know value investing (i.e., Buffett) or fundamentals. Whether you are age 21 and in college, age 30 working a job, or age 60 in retirement, you can learn the techniques of great traders.
Q: Are your systems and training for market professionals?
A: Systems and training are used by experienced traders worldwide. Hedge fund managers to CTAs to CFAs (Chartered Financial Analysts) to CMTs (Chartered Market Technicians) to brokers to financial advisers on every continent have become clients.
Q: How were your systems and training assembled?
A: The great traders, along with their trading rules, are not easily accessed. However, Michael Covel has dedicated his life to assembling their trading systems and lessons. Covel has spent the last 15 years on the ‘inside’ learning from the greatest traders of our time. View Covel’s trading mentors.
Q: Are your trading systems just “Turtle Trading”?
A: No. Michael Covel’s The Complete TurtleTrader explains the Turtle story and system in detail. It is the definitive Turtle resource, but Flagship systems and training go much farther. Human interaction with Michael and his staff, the live teaching element, is entirely different than a book alone.
Q: The top end of your trading systems and training is $3000?
A: Paying for trading education is far less expensive than losing a fortune with no trading plan. The price is negligible if you consider it an investment in your future wealth.
Q: I’m a business student and I have always disliked the way professors downplay anything but fundamentals. I’m considering ordering your systems and training to continue my education in trading and I just had one question. I’m curious as to whether the systems in your training can be applied to shorter time frames like hourly or 4-hour charts?
A: No. Day trading is fool’s gold. My systems and training will be worth millions to you over a lifetime if you simply understand that day trading is a waste. More on the subject: Read.
Q: I am concerned about having the right exit strategy.
A: Traders without an exit plan always lose. Applying explicit exit protocols to limit damage during market declines is the name of the game. That means having an exit strategy for all of your positions at all times. That means deliberately, consistently and mechanically ‘cutting losses short’ while letting your winners ‘run.’ Students learn how.
Q: What starting capital is needed?
Q: What is the difference between your books and systems/courses?
A: My books are great resources filled with thousands of details, and they have helped many people learn, but systems and training with support are different. Questions come up. Students need help. Personal instruction gives insights that a book can’t give. Additionally, there are many proprietary trading systems in the courses not included in the books.
Q: Will too many trend followers make it less profitable?
A: No. A great example is 2008. Trend followers made a fortune. The profitability of trend following shows absolutely no sign of slowing down. Also, review chapter 11 of my book Trend Following.
Q: Can I trend follow in my retirement account?
A: Yes. 401ks, IRAs, Keoghs, Seps, etc. You can trade stocks, futures and ETFs in retirement accounts.
Q: So trend trading works on stocks?
A: Yes. Always.
Q: This is not only for futures trading?
A: No. Trend following is not instrument specific. Trend followers can and do trade all types of instruments. Some trade futures. Some trade ETFs. Some trade LEAPS® options. Some trade stocks. Some trade commodities. For example, today trend following traders can trade ETFs and get exposure to commodities markets without having to trade futures. You will learn what is the best option for your situation.
Q: Is trend following risky?
A: Life is risky. You might get hit by a car crossing the street. All trading is risky. However, if you have a concrete plan, risk is manageable. That is the key to the success of great trend following traders. As you have seen in the last decade buy and holders, mutual funds, fundamentals, etc. don’t control risk at all.
Q: I am currently a financial adviser and will be going back to school for a 4-year degree in the summer. As far as school is concerned what type of courses would be most advantageous for me to take or learn that would help in trend following?
A: Most finance departments ignore trend following. If they do, they call it ‘luck’. In fact, many of the greatest traders had little to no experience trend trading before starting. Trend following legend John W. Henry, for example, did not have a college degree. However, the great trend traders have been motivated to learn and work hard.
Q: How much math is involved in trend following for success?
A: +, -, *, / — the basics. A degree in math, statistics, or economics is not needed to trade trend following techniques. Staff, premises, and expensive overhead are not required.
Q: Is trend following trading black box system trading?
A: This is not ‘black box’ trading. All rules and philosophies are fully disclosed.
Q: Do the great trend followers watch the markets during the day?
A: Some trend followers only trade once a week using weekly bars. Forget the nonsense of day trading and 5 minute bars.
Q: How much time is required to trade as a trend following trader?
A: You can spend a minute or two per market each day. For example, let’s say you check prices in the evening, then with one trade on your PC in the morning, you place or change any orders in accordance with rules. Use your iPhone or Blackberry to do it. Flagship trend following trading systems use daily data to determine buy and sell signals. This is not day trading or high frequency trading. Orders can be placed before the market opens and do not need hourly monitoring. Most top traders manage their trades in 10 to 30 minutes per day. Trend follower Richard Donchian once said: “If you trade on a definite trend-following loss limiting-method, you can trade without taking a great deal of time from your regular business day. Since action is taken only when certain evidence is registered, you can spend a minute or two per [market] in the evening checking up on whether action-taking evidence is apparent, and then in one telephone call in the morning place or change any orders in accord with what is indicated. [Furthermore] a definite method, which at all times includes precise criteria for closing out one’s losing trades promptly, avoids…emotionally unnerving indecision.” Each day you determine entries and or exits for the following day. You can then buy or sell “at the market” on the open the next day.
Q: Why is money management needed?
A: Money management, also called risk management or position sizing, is a critical component of trend following trading success: read more.
Q: Are markets different now?
A: Markets are the same because they always change. Trend following trading adapts to change. That’s the key.
Q: Isn’t 24-hour news needed?
A: No. You can use the internet to get closing price quotes. You don’t need real-time data or news. In fact, you don’t need news at all.
Q: Is leverage used in trend following?
A: Yes. All great trend following traders use leverage. It is a tool to be used correctly. You learn how. Keep in mind, this is not the use of leverage that sunk so many Wall Street banks. This is different.
Q: Once I complete your training will I need my personal broker or financial advisor to help me trade successfully?
Q: What do you think of Gann and Elliott Wave?
Q: Once training is completed what additional expenses will be needed to start?
A: You need money to trade and daily price data (about $20/month). You will receive a special discount set up with a leading provider. All clients receive 10% off CSI Data’s advertised prices.
Q: I’m in the beginning stages of starting a fund and I have a lot of questions, but I really haven’t been able to talk to anyone about it, mostly because I haven’t met anyone in the business. I was wondering if I put a few questions together if you could forward it to someone you think could be helpful in answering them?
A: A critical feature of Flagship systems and training is support. These are the types of questions you will have answered. You can receive help on introductions, along with hints on how to break into the business or just advice on trading your own account.
Q: I currently work in a Fortune 500 company as a Finance Director. I was reading your book on The Turtles and got more interested and read your web site. I’m interested in your training courses, but I have to be honest, it seems strange that someone is willing to train or give away a process that works. This is one of my questions.
A: Think about the Turtles. Think about all of the trend followers with decades of trend following trading results. Most people don’t want to change. Most people are happy losing with buy and hold. Sad, but true. This issue is also addressed in the last chapter of the book Trend Following.
Q: Does your trading systems and training explain exactly which markets to trade and why?
A: Yes. A key to the consistency of trend following is diversification across markets. Trend following exposure to all markets allows profits from trending markets to cover losses from other markets. Big moves, and the profits from those, offset losses. Additionally, using the exact same rules and parameter values across markets is a key factor in keeping trend following trading systems robust.
Q: Are chart techniques and studies used to pick entry & exit levels and where to place stop levels? Do you teach a one-size-fits-all method of level picking and using indicators or do you tailor it to the individual?
A: You will learn how to make all trading decisions regardless of your situation. Rules adapt. You learn it all.
Q: I read about fancy software and all kinds of complicated trading strategies that seemingly only rocket scientists can trade. Is that what this is?
A: No. The real risk in today’s age is over-doing a trading system. There is so much computing power available and so much data available, but the reality is that great trend following can be explained on the back of a napkin. You learn to navigate these issues.
Q: Will I learn how to successfully make money in foreign markets with no fundamental knowledge of those markets?
Q: Does your trend following training provide actual trend following systems?
Q: Does your trend following training provide exact rules/instruction for selecting a portfolio?
Q: Can I put myself in a position to profit during the next crash?
A: Yes. That is core to trend following.
Q: Can I see a map of where your clients live?
Q: Can I read about the traders that have influenced you and your trading principles?
Q: Can I compete against the big guys?
A: Yes. The big guys don’t stop the little guys from trading. The idea that the big trend followers block the small trend followers is nonsense.
Q: Can I use this intra-day?
A: No. Anyone who speaks of trend following intra-day, 5-minute bars, etc. is a huckster. That stuff is something else, but it’s not trend following.
Q: Are there too many people trading this way?
A: No. This is a common misperception.
Q: I see you use a lot of ratio mathematical formula. Do you teach those formulas or is that something one needs to get additional outside teaching for?
A: All formulas, rules and systems included. My training also includes email support. That human interaction will be as much as you want to make it.
Q: Are markets trending much the same today as they did 50 yrs ago?
A: Markets are the same going back 200 years at least: http://arxiv.org/abs/1404.3274 (PDF).
Q: What are your main criteria to identify a trend?
A: Main criteria to ID a trend? In trend following you don’t do that. In trend following you take entry signals, and have exit signals. After an entry and then the exit is the only time one can historically ID a trend. Anyone out there saying they can spot/predict trends is incorrect.
Q: In using your methods do they perform in today’s markets with the global financial crisis, Government manipulation and high frequency trading?
A: Trend following performs when markets trend. Trends can take place in all types of environments. An environment you might describe today, can change tomorrow. Trend following adapts. Always. To preserve capital is rule number one.
Q: Would living in [any country] make a difference in accessing study information and tutors?
A: No. My clients are everywhere. Location is irrelevant. I have students in 70+ countries.
Q: Does your service include code?
A: The Flagship content is not code for Tradestation®, for example. It includes rules you can calculate via paper/pencil or in an Excel spreadsheet or if you want to code the rules into Tradestation® you can do that too. My firm does not teach coding. Also, keep in mind that coding is just automation, it is not system.
Q: Having completed a few different courses in the past and have not found them that great and the content is basically taught via a bunch of videos with very little human personal teaching. What makes your course different?
A: I have no marketing pitch for that question, nor do I care to compare my trend following world to unnamed others. The best bet is to check out some of my books and or podcast (and review every last link on this page). That will give you more of a feel for me and my world.
Trend Following™/TurtleTrader® can not promise you will earn the returns of traders, charts or examples (real or hypothetical) stated. All past performance is not necessarily an indication of future results. Data presented is for educational purposes. All data on this site is direct from the CFTC, SEC, Yahoo Finance, Google and disclosure documents by managers mentioned herein. Trend Following™/TurtleTrader® assumes all data to be accurate, but assumes no responsibility for errors, omissions or clerical errors made by sources.
Trend Following™/TurtleTrader® is not registered as a securities broker-dealer or an investment adviser. This information is not designed to be used as an invitation for investment with any adviser profiled. No information herein is intended as securities brokerage, investment, tax, accounting or legal advice, as an offer or solicitation of an offer to sell or buy, or as an endorsement, recommendation or sponsorship of any company, security or fund.
Further, Trend Following™/TurtleTrader® cannot and does not assess, verify or guarantee the adequacy, accuracy or completeness of any information, the suitability or profitability of any particular investment, or the potential value of any investment or informational source. The reader bears responsibility for his/her own investment research and decisions, should seek the advice of a qualified securities professional before making any investment, and investigate and fully understand any and all risks before investing.
Additionally, Trend Following™/TurtleTrader® in no way warrants the solvency, financial condition, or investment advisability of any security or instrument. In addition, Trend Following™/TurtleTrader® accepts no liability whatsoever for any direct or consequential loss arising from any use of this information. This information is not intended to be used as a basis of any investment decision, nor should it be construed as advice designed to meet the investment needs of any particular investor.
HYPOTHETICAL OR SIMULATED PERFORMANCE RESULTS HAVE CERTAIN LIMITATIONS. UNLIKE AN ACTUAL PERFORMANCE RECORD, SIMULATED RESULTS DO NOT REPRESENT ACTUAL TRADING. ALSO, SINCE THE TRADES HAVE NOT BEEN EXECUTED, THE RESULTS MAY HAVE UNDER-OR-OVER COMPENSATED FOR THE IMPACT, IF ANY, OF CERTAIN MARKET FACTORS, SUCH AS LACK OF LIQUIDITY. SIMULATED TRADING PROGRAMS IN GENERAL ARE ALSO SUBJECT TO THE FACT THAT THEY ARE DESIGNED WITH THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT. NO REPRESENTATION IS BEING MADE THAT ANY ACCOUNT WILL OR IS LIKELY TO ACHIEVE PROFIT OR LOSSES SIMILAR TO THOSE SHOWN.