Michael Covel is president and founder of Trend Following™, a consulting firm focused on trend following trading strategies. The firm’s client base consists of individual traders, students, hedge funds, CTAs, pensions and family offices. The firm’s unique edge is an extensive personal network within the world of quantitative trend following investments.
A thought leader in the trend following space, Covel is the bestselling author of The Little Book of Trading, Trend Commandments, The Complete TurtleTrader, and the classic Trend Following. His books have been translated into 10+ languages and Trend Following was named best trading book of the last 15 years. His first film is Broke: The New American Dream.
Michael Covel is not Wall Street royalty. He is not part of the system. His credentials are not Goldman Sachs. No country club pedigree, or academic PhD. His background, his personal story, is one of struggle and ultimately triumph. Specifically, the struggle to figure out how great traders really make millions in up or down markets.
Long before ever making his first million Covel has always focused on one big question: Is there a better way? What he found was an investing strategy that did not require buy & hope, mutual funds, CNBC, Warren Buffett, indexing, bailouts or insider trading. As an outsider, Covel was able to discard “conventional” wisdom.
Building off his initial bootstrapping success, the original TurtleTrader®, Covel developed very creative methods to get close to the world’s great traders. They opened their doors because of his persistence. He went directly to the seat of knowledge and learned techniques of the great trend following traders, took that knowledge and distilled those lessons and best practices into a useful education to give everyone the chance at making big money.
Covel & his firm Trend Following™ have now worked for over a decade to deliver cutting edge & transformative solutions for aspiring clients worldwide. His unparalleled global teaching track record, with 6000+ clients in 70+ countries & 150,000+ books sold, has made him the respected trend following research & education solutions leader. His proprietary & robust trading systems answers:
- What market do you buy or sell at any time?
- When do you buy or sell a market?
- How do you get out of a losing position?
- How should you get out of a winning position?
- How much do you bet on each trade?
Let’s face it head on: conventional investing strategies have killed investors over the last decade. Markets are not efficient and human beings are not rational. What you need are the tools to meet and beat the surprise events, uncertainty and chaos of the market. And that’s what trend following does: provides the rules needed to generate homerun profits. Skip the two-decade learning curve & benefit from Michael Covel’s expertise.
- Reviewed: AOL Money, Big Hollywood, Bloomberg, Forbes, Huffington Post.
- On Air: Bloomberg, Dennis Miller Show, Business News Network, Fox Business.
- Live: North America: Austin, Baltimore, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Jekyll Island, La Jolla, Las Vegas, Key Biscayne, Mobile, New York, Stanford, Vancouver. Asia: Beijing, Guangzhou, Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Macau Shanghai, Shenzhen, Singapore, Tokyo. Europe: Paris, Vienna. South America: São Paulo.
- Addressed: BM&F Bovespa, CLSA, CME Group, DZH (China), Legg Mason, Managed Funds Association. All presentations.
- Quoted: Barrons, Bloomberg, Globe and Mail, New York Post, Wall
- Published: Active Trader (PDF), Daily Reckoning, Futures Magazine, Ludwig von Mises Institute (Link), Market Technicians Association (PDF), SFO Magazine, Yahoo! Finance, Your Trading Edge (PDF).
- Influences: Trained by the great trend following traders.
- Education: George Mason University (BA, Political Science) and The Florida State University (MBA). Further: International Relations (London, UK).
- Fun: Favorite book Fountainhead, enjoys Southeast Asia (currently resides there), collects dinosaur skulls, Myers-Briggs type, took Constitutional case before Supreme Court of Virginia, envies Anthony Bourdain’s travel life, can still swing a baseball bat with authority and once ran for political office.
- Photos: flickr®.
- Recommended: Books.
- Economics: Covel’s wider economic views can be seen in his Mises.org feature, but the essence of any entrepreneurial foundation (including trend following) is this Milton Friedman interview. If you can relate to that you are on the road to the winning trend following mindset. Rationality really equals success? Consider: Bill Dunn and Turtle teacher Richard Dennis are both on the Board of the Reason Foundation.
- Wikipedia: Go.
- Personal Note: Go.
- Contact: Go.
Note: How does Michael Covel pronounce his last name? Co-vell. “Co” rhymes with toe. “Vell” rhymes with bell. Equally accented each syllable. It was shortened from Covalesky, which was shortened originally from Kavaliauskas.